Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Is our graduation certificate approved both internationally and locally if we decide to study in Taiwan? TO BE CHECKED Our students have the option of taking the same national high school exam as regular state schools during year nine of their studies. The results of this national exam are required if a student wishes to further their studies in Taiwan.
  2. What is the cell phone policy in school? Our students are requested to hand in their phones at reception as they arrive at school. They are not permitted to use them in class. However, they are allowed to use phones during their lunch break. Students collect their cell phones at the end of the school day.
  3. How many of your classes are taught in English? In our international department, all of the classes are taught in English, with the exception of rock climbing, table tennis, math with I.T., fine arts, performing arts, and Chinese (upon request). For our bilingual department, the following classes are taught in English: English, global vision, social studies, film studies, digital music production, creative writing, and English literature.
  4. How many hours of English class do you provide? Students of the international department benefit from 16 hours of English class each week, which includes language art, literature, and creative writing. Students in our bilingual department have 8 hours of English class each week. These does not include other subjects that are taught in English, like global vision, 3D printing, digital music production, to name a few.
  5. What curriculum does the school follow? The school follows the curriculum of Saskatchewan province in Canada.
  6. What is the percentage of foreign teachers in your school? Foreign teachers accounts for 38% of the teachers at Karl School, which can be further divided into 62% for the international department and 34% for the bilingual department.
  7. What is the educational background of the teachers at Karl? Teachers must have a minimum of a bachelor's degree along with some teaching speciality, such as a CELTA or teaching certification. Regardless, the majority of our teachers possess master's degrees or are PhD candidates. More detailed information regarding our teaching staff can be found on the Team page.
  8. What is the philosophy of the school? The school philosophy is outlined here.
  9. What do the tuition fees include? The tuition includes textbook, uniform, lunch, exploratory activities, transportation fee for exploratory activities, insurance, and field trips. However, it does not include IELTS examination, dormitory and school bus fees as these are based on individual needs. Tuition is collected only once per semester.
  10. What are the school hours? Students are required to be on the school premises by 8:00am each day. School finishes at 5:50pm daily.
  11. Does the school provide transportation? Yes, school provides school bus to and from home, and also for exploratory activities in the afternoon.
  12. The space available on your campus is limited, where do your activities take place? Computer Science classes are well-catered for on-campus. We have a cutting-edge computer lab on site featuring Apple Mac computers, 3D printing equipment, digital mixing desks and VR headsets. For sports and cookery, the school has formed partnerships with a variety of nearby facilities and organisations; for instance, iClimb in Zhubei City and Andrea Stables in Hsinpu (安德烈馬場) for Equestrianism.
  13. Are school meals provided? Yes, meals are provided by qualified catering services each day. We also provide meals to students with special diets.
  14. Do students have to bring their own laptop to school? Personal notebooks are not necessary. The school has a well-specced computer lab on campus. Students are, however, encouraged to use home computers to complete some homework assignments.
  15. What safety equipment is there in school? The school takes safety extremely seriously. There are escape chutes , fire extinguishers, and fire hydrants on each floor; we are also equipped with breathing apparatus in case of medical emergencies.
  16. Are the staff trained in emergencies situations? All staff receive training for emergencies at the beginning of each school year, or else when new teachers begin their contracts.
  17. Are the students required to take an English exam for admission? Yes, and in order to accurately test the English ability of our new students and place them in the most suitable level, new students at Karl School will be the few entitled in Taiwan to take the Aptis English Placement test regulated by the British Counsel. For more information on Aptis exam please click here.